Sunday, May 9, 2010

The Stonewall Intention

As we near the Northwest's Pride Celeberations, I encourage you to remember the original intention of those who rioted at Stonewall in 1969. That night, patrons rebelled against police, forcing them out of the bar and into the streets. To borrow the words from The Who's anthem, "We ain't gonna take it!" That was the cry that was heard that night. Patrons wanted to be left alone to mourn the passing of Judy Garland without disturbance from New York city's "finest."

As we struggle for marriage equality and civil rights throughout the United States, let us not forget the original intent that night. "Leave us alone" is a far different sentiment than "Accept us." I would suggest that as Leatherfolk, we do not give a fuck about acceptance. With the patrons of Stonewall, we only want to be left alone to celebrate our sexuality as consensual adults.

Many years ago when I came out as a Leatherboy, I was told by Mr. Guy Baldwin that I should show respect for others not in the Life. I learned to wear my Leather only when it was appropriate. And while some took the phrase "Living in Leather" quite literally, I chose to follow the older tradition, reserving it for evenings, Runs, and Pride events.

"We want acceptance as part of society." While this may be the sentiment of some, personally I do not want to see Leatherfolk in Gear shopping in Safeway on a Saturday morning. I, also, do not want to bring my grandchildren to public places in broad daylight where F/folk flaunt their toys off their hips and shoulders. My grandchildren do not need to know about flogging techniques or cock rings until they are sexually active and exhibit curiousity. This coincides with my interpretation of consensual behavior.

Acceptance is a two-edged sword for Leatherfolk. We define ourselves as rule breakers. We delight in being bad boys and girls pushing the confines of accepted social behavior. Thus, by our very nature, acceptance into the maintstream is the antithesis of who we are. In short, techniques do not define us as Leatherfolk.

During Pride, let us march together with our brothers and sisters in solidarity. We do not ask that people like us. We do not ask that people approve of us. We demand the right to be left alone to celebrate our radical sexuality as we define it.

No comments:

Post a Comment